How do you express your emotions? Well this many depend on whether or not you are a man or a woman. There seems to be this ongoing debate between men and women, and among women that men are emotionless, quite often women are witnessed saying things like “he just shuts down” or “he doesn’t show emotion.” Well there are many different ways to show emotion. It appears that God made men and women differently for specific purposes. One way in which men and women differ is the manner in which they express emotions.
Women seem to be under the misconception that men should express themselves in the same manner in which they do. This couldn’t be further from the truth, men have the God-given right to express their emotions in whatever manner they see fit. When thinking about emotions, it is important to remember that this varies with the individual, emotional expression may be based on past and present experiences, such as family upbringing, abuse, culture, and religion.
Perhaps if someone is not expressing their emotions in a manner that is conducive to your personal needs then maybe you are in a relationship with the wrong person, or maybe you need to be more flexible and understanding. Also, it is important to remember that it is sometimes unreasonable to force others to change the way they express themselves, simply for personal gain.
Women, unfortunately can sometimes wear their emotions on their sleeves, this can be good and bad depending on the situation. God made women visibly emotional because we were made to be caregivers and bearers of children (just one reason). Think about how most individuals learn to love and express affection, it starts with the mother. However, it is important to remember that men are not cold and emotionless human beings, in general. Some people are cold and do not express their emotions but both men and women can be the product of this. Having a difficult time expressing emotions is not solely a male issue there are women who have this issue as well. Often, when we do not like the way someone is expressing their emotion we tend to say that they have issues expressing their feelings, but maybe they are just expressing their feelings in a way that we do not like or understand, which doesn’t mean they are wrong.
So to say that men do not have or express emotions, is inaccurate, men and women are different as they are supposed to be. Often men can be seen expressing emotions in the following manner and situations.
- During sporting events, many men have expressed happiness, sadness, frustration, and anger. Many coaches and players display an array of emotions on the football field and basketball court. Many men can be seen crying when they lose an NBA championship, or the first round of the play offs. Men definitely cry when they are injured during sports, try shutting down when you have a fractured bone or a sprained anything….
- Men definitely show emotion when they witness the birth of their children.
- Men show emotion on their wedding day, when they see the woman of their dreams walking down the aisle.
- Men show emotion when they witness their sons passing the threshold of moving from boy to man.
- Men show emotion at funerals.
- Men show emotion during heated conversations/fights with their spouses or enemies.
- Men show emotion when they cannot find employment, and are frustrated when they cannot provide for their families.
- Men show emotion when the woman they love is in pain or bothered by something.
- Men show emotion when they see their dreams crash in front of their face.
- Men show emotion when their marriages fail and they have to get a divorce.
- Men show emotion when they accomplish their goals.
- Men show emotion when they see an old friend, that they have not seen in a long time.
- Men show emotion when they realize that their actions have caused pain for others.
- Men show emotion when they have broken hearts.
- Men always show emotion when they hold their babies in their arms.
- Men show emotion when their children are taken away.
- Men show emotion when they are fired from a job.
- Men show emotion when their trust has been violated.